What Is Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeship is a quality, affordable, post-secondary training that leads to certification as a journeyperson in a skilled occupation. It is the only career route where one can earn a wage while learning an occupation.
There are 52 apprenticeable occupations in New Brunswick. Most apprenticeship programs take two to four years to complete, and they combine approximately 80 % paid on-the-job training with 20 % technical/in-school learning.
Apprenticeship is a post-secondary pathway consisting of on-the-job training provided by an employer and technical training delivered at a college, vocational school or union training centre.
Click here for more information from the New Brunswick department of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour (PETL)
Skills/Compétences Canada (2019) has also provided links to several valuable resources including to help with your workplace readiness and preparing for your apprenticeship:
- Numeracy Workbook;
- Document Use Workbook;
- Reading Text Workbook;
- Thinking Workbook;
- Writing Workbook;
- Continuous Learning Workbook;
- Working with Others Workbook;
- Oral Communication Workbook; and
- Power Point Presentation.
Skills/Compétences Canada (2019) have also developed an Essential Skills Mobile App Assessment Tool, available free for download in the Apple Store and Google Play, which includes:
- profiles of over 40 different trade and technology careers;
- summary of the Nine Essential Skills for the workplace;
- a comprehensive set of questions that can be completed on average in 15-20 minutes. Results are provided as a star rating link to careers in trade and technology sectors;
- Social Media features;
- A link to the ESDC Office of Literacy and Essential skills with access to all the National Occupational Profiles. Results can be compared against the levels of complexity in the ESDC profiles for specific Skilled Trade careers; and
- A directory of all trade and technology schools and training facilities in Canada;
- FIT candidates are encouraged to download and use this Essential Skills Mobile App.