STEP aims to increase the participation of underrepresented groups in non-traditional skilled trades by registering new apprentices in the New Brunswick apprenticeship system.
The program aims not only to give New Brunswickers the opportunity to explore the skilled trades as part of a welcoming and practical training program, but also direct route apprenticeship opportunities when they have passed their classroom training successfully.
With our partners, Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification (AOC), Workplace Essential Skills (WES) and NBCC/CCNB are developing a targeted program to explore skilled trades based on the needs of the NB labour market.
STEP is a 16 week FREE training program. The 16 week-program will include;
- skilled trades exploration,
- a math upgrade,
- workplace essential skills,
- safety training, professional development, and labour market information,
- presentations by special guests, employer site visits, and other activities
The training hours are accredited towards an apprenticeship. Once the training is completed successfully participants will be matched with partnered employers. Employers will hire STEP participants to work through their apprenticeship, to Red Seal Endorsement
Support & Services
- The STEP Coordinator will organize preliminary interviews for potential participants. Participants will be selected based on their interest in the skilled trades and their positive attitude.
- The STEP coordinator will help employer partners to ensure the best possible transition from apprentices to the workplace.
- Participants will be helped to acquire safety shoes, basic tools and other personal protective equipment.
- Apprenticeship coordinators will also work closely with employers to ensure that participants are registered and that journeyperson mentors know what skills are required for participants to be successful with each block.
- And much more!